LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Third of 4 Letters - 1939

Post Mark – Laroy 6 PM Mar 8 1933 Kans. – Back of envelope – May 10 1939 Wall…. Oreg.

Note: 4 letters were found in this envelope. 3 of them dated 1939.  Letter #3

Granifield Kans

Apr 29

Dear Father,

How are you. I hope you are getting along O.K. we have been having a few nice days. I been irrigating my Garden. It looks nice. I had a nice long letter from Nettie this week.

Geo left from Utah yesterday morning. He rode to Denver with Jess Terill and was going to take a Train or Bus from there. His Uncle Geo got him a job out there on a Ranch.

Frank Montgomery’s wife is being buried to day at quinter.

“2”

I got a letter from Harold yesterday. He says the weather out there has been nice for the last 10 days. He said he had to work until midnite three nites this week. He gets pretty tired.

I had a letter from Geo this week he said he took 6 fat Hogs to Grand Junction to the Packing House and had them Butchered and cured. It costs 4 cts per pound and 1 ct for the lard, he said he took back 1000 lbs of Groceries. They are a lot cheaper there than in Moah.

He said he brought his cattle across the River and they  “3” were fat enough for Beef. He puts them across the River in the Fall and don’t feed them a thing. His wife and the Boys will move back to the Ranch as soon as school is out.

The sowed wheat looks fine but the Volintue don’t amount to anything. I was talking with Ottis Benton last week. He has 1300 acres of Good wheat up by Goodland.

I don’t think John has over 20 or 30 acres left most all of his was Volintue.

There is lots of Barley and Oats. They look good. There is a lot of corn going to be planted around here.

“4”

Are you going out to Fort Collins this Spring. If you do you want to stop here on your way out and see us.

Bess is not a bit well.

Rasus folks are all well. It keeps her pretty busy tending Telephone doing the House work and looking after the little kids well I will close for this time ans soon

Love, Fred

PS give any regards to Wm & Kattie & the Girls & Dick.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment