LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Irvin Wineland - Mar 21, 1962

 

Post Mark – Fallbrook, Calif. Mar 21 3PM 1982

Mar 19, 62.

Dear Archie & Mable:

I’ve ben going to write you folks for some time, always something comes up and I don’t get to write.

Well we are all OK but always busy – have planted some garden, beens are blooming and radishes are about large enough to eat, planted some onions (Spanish) beets carrots parsnips and Peas all are doing good – they plant peas beets beans etc here in dec.

Our gladiolas and Dahlias are up 6 or 8 inches – Roses that I planted in Jan, most all are in bud. Our avocados some have bloomed once and quite a few have set on and are as large as marbles. Some bloom as many as three times.  

We have two naval orange trees I planted last fall and both are blooming but they probably won’t set much fruit on this year, it usually takes a couple of years for them to produce much fruit.

When you write Shirley and family give them our regards and helo –

Yes that wood I asked about comes from the East but not the USA. It comes from Ceydon Burma India also from Carta Rica and Gueatamola as they grow Teak, Rose wood and the Zebra wood comes from the Guianas – both English and French Guiana, but as Seattle is a Port I thought that perhaps there would be some place where they import it – there’s not a place in San Diego. I’ll get in touch with some one in Houston Tex as they do a lot of importing from Central and South America. I’d like to get some Osage Orange from the Mid West sometime.

I have some sandal wood cawphor, Koa, coffee which is pure white, Milo a dark deep brown wood and some monkey pod that I shipped from Hawaii. I’ve made some lamps bowls and a pretty good table from some of the wood I bought from Hawaii.

I’ve worked up some Mau Zanita wood into some curios. Also have been carving some African wall masks – have a few orders for some.

I also work up some black locust which is pretty good but it has a tendency to split unless it is cured pretty good. Marion’s sister who used to live in Seattle and her husband was a truck driver at Boeings he retired last year and they sold their place and bought a Home trailer and travel Canada and eastern part of the states and Florida they spent a month at Phoenix and will arrive here in Fallbrook this weekend and then on up to Seattle, I suppose as they leave a son and his family living in Alderwood Manor. I suppose that they want to see the Fair.

I think Marion probably will come up later on.

I’ll have to look after the cats, avocados etc, unless we could get someone to stay here.

I thought that Uncle George and wife would drop in on us, before they go back to that wind swept Kansas. They sure had a heck of a winter there this year. I believe it has snowed for three solid months all through the mid west.

You folks had better pack up and come on down for a visit and see some of this part of the country, for a change.

We’ve sure used our Fireplace this winter it got down to 32 a couple of nights but only for a couple of hours, it hasn’t done any damage to any of our plants or fruit.

Wonder where old Brown is? Do you ever see any one from Pac Marine?

Now Write

Love to all,

 

Marion & Irvin.

Note: Would love to find where some of Irvin Wineland's carvings went. He was well know for his carvings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment