LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Ketchikan Alaska 1938 - Irvin Wineland

 Back in the day – letters were written and the addresses were to the city each person lived in. This was one of those letters –

From I G Wineland, Ketchikan, Alaska

To Mr. Archie E. Wineland, Wallowa, Oregon

Ketchikan Alaska

Sept 16, 38


Dear Bro & Mable & Shirley

Well thanks old man for the lovey card and you too Mable – I certainly appreciate it very much.

Well I just got a letter from Pearl and she’s bound to meet me in Seattle Nov 1st and I think she’s after a new Plymouth she’s been shopping for the past mo in LA. So she said if she drove to Seattle she wanted something good enough to depend on – you know these women, Archie you or I could take an old car and make it O.K. but she’s deserving of it surely I’ve been away up here the past two springs & summers and really I think I’ll sell the Jewel I can get from 2500 to 3000 I was offered 3000 twice last fall like a fool I should of taken it.

I can’t see any real money here in Salmon and that’s two year’s experience over would have to live on fish & rice and I won’t and work most all of the time and never spend a crumb on his boat then probably he could make a few dollars. I’m interested in that school nurry go round it sounds O.K. I don’t see why a person cannot dispose of them to these schools alright.

And that ground – well when Pearl meets me, we sure are going to drive down and spend a few days with you folks and looks things over. I will try and either get into something in the states in a restaurant auto camp or something. So one could make a few dollars with his efforts.

It’s sure disgusting to work like a slave and have nothing to show for it. I want to do a little deer hunting before I go down. Of course if I sell the boat, I’ll go down by Canadian Steamer to Seattle. If not I’ll run the Jewel down and then sell it in the Winter or Spring, where there’s always a demand for boats.

So you sort of can look for us around No – 4 or 5 or 6th

Well tell Shirley Uncle Irv will see her this fall.

We might do a little hunting on the q.t. too I’d sure like to hunk of elk.

 

Your lov Bro Irvin


This came with the letter - 



 

Note: Family history – Irvin didn’t come down to see Pearl. He stayed in Alaska and met up with Marion whom he later married. There is no record of Irvin getting a divorce. Irvin was married at least 7 times – never divorcing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment