LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Albert Hackerott Jr. Dec 5, 1954


Dec 5 ’54

Dear Archie & Mable –

About every time I thought about writing there was a good show in TV. That takes up most of our time in the evening. Don’t even have time to read the paper anymore. Great Bend came on the air the last of Nov. and they are close enough that we have good T.V. every night. We had our first rain last night since I got home from our trip. 60 hundreds so it was really getting dry and dusty. So far we have had a very mild winter just a couple day that it was down to about 10 above but other than that around freezing was the coldest we have had. They had rain while I was gone so the wheat came right up but doesn’t look as good now as it did maybe in a few day if it stays warm it will green up again. I just got my pictures back the other day sure got some nice ones of our trip. Makes me wish I could take it again next year. If you ever have a chance to take 101 along the coast it is well worth your time. The road is one curves (shows curves in the letter) right after another and a slow road but lots to see & the Red Woods are beautiful. I was really glad when we got thru Saw F. crossed the Golden Gate bridge at 1 o’clock & they were playing football with Ill. So really got in a traffic jam. Had thought some of going on to Los A. then along the Southern way but I said I had enough city driving I was going straight across country for home. Now I wish we had gone on South I have never been down there.

No water in the ponds so we won’t get any ducks this year the pheasants are few & far between don’t know what has happened to them. Our steer calves brought 21 (cents) not as much money in a cow herd as big steers now. We are getting our road graveled down from the Co. road so now if it is muddy when you come see us you can come right on thru. Oh yes I wanted to tell you the president was trout fishing in Pine Colo. When we went thru there if I had just known it ahead of time I just as well of gone fishing with him. I’ll bet the game comm. Stocked the stream for him so it would have been good fishing. I want to write a few lines to Shirley & Myron so they will know I haven’t’ forgotten all about them. Yes I thought maybe as soon as Shirley left you would be leaving Seattle. I don’t blame you one bit there are hundreds of small towns that would be so much better. I supposed most of the coast towns the living costs would be high. About every Friday or Sat night Bill & Jim come up to  spend the night so they can see T.V. Billy doesn’t get to come up during the week now that he is in school Aunt Laura got a bunch of colored pictures of the trip she just got them back I haven’t seen them yet. I don’t know why it takes so long to get the pictures developed. Well it won’t be long till Xmas it sure seems like time flys any more. We have been busy putting a new foundation under the south chicken house & converting it to a calf shed. Eggs are 18 (cents) so it doesn’t pay to raise chickens any more $5.55 a hundred for pullet atoms. I suppose you saw in the paper where some one blessed Mary Wineland’s money & got away with around $80. Well by the time I get a short note written to Shirley it will be bed time so will close for now.

Love, Albert Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment