LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Joe & Stella Seaman - Dec 14, 1960


Tarkio, MO
Dec 14 – 1960

Dear Archie & Mable: -

I take my pen in hand to write you a “scap” to-nite. Got your good letter last Saturday and was mighty glad for it –

You are right this has been some year in a lot of different ways, The republicans carried all the offices in the state and every congressional Dist except the 5th which is southwest Kansas. Was disappointed in the National as I wanted Nixon – I don’t like this Chester Bowles that Kennedy has in his cabinet and a Mail Carrier in Topeka told me yesterday that our Next Post Master General would be a Nigro.

My old Friend Walter Peery of Topeka was elected State treasurer, Guess you remember him and his wife Florence. They were at Nettie’s Funeral in Natoma – Had a one page letter from Bob but he didn’t say much, He is O.K.

I went to the hospital on Oct 29th and after getting out I didn’t go to work until about Dec 5. Had prostate trouble. I’m going to retire Jan 1st and see if I can live on O.A.B.

We may go to the Gulf some place. Near Brownsville along about the Middle of January and get away from the cold for a few weeks.  Geo. & Ida were down to see us one day late in Nov. after I got out of the Hospital.

We are planning on going to Colo Springs for Xmas if the weather is good.

Yes I think the Huskies should beat Minnesota in the Rose Bow, but don’t know about MO, against Navy in the Orange Bowl.

I agree with you 100% on Politics and think we have taken care of Western Europe long enough and that they should help carry the load now.

I’ll bet you will be glad when Shirley, Myron and the kids can come home from Germany – Perhaps Myron will return to civilian life, if the Air Force isn’t going to take care of the Service Men’s families –
I didn’t get to go Deer hunting this year – But did have 2 week ends of duck hunting and got the limit both times.  Was sick during pheasant season – Drove by Squaw Creek Game reserve today and there were about 10,000 Geese there – Mostly snow Geese & Blue Geese.

Haven’t seen Bowlby in a number of years as I never get out that way – Saw Alan Palmer 2 weeks ago. He lives in Salina. He told me Geo. Musgrove was in Bad shape with heart trouble. His wife is your cousin, isn’t she?

I got pretty tired working and think a rest will do me good – Don’t know how long I can remain idle without losing my mind –

Will write again after the Holdiays as will have more time –

Hope this finds both of you feeling fine and that you have a wonderful Xmas. –
Love, Joe & Stella

No comments:

Post a Comment