LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Irvin Wineland - Dec 9, 1924 Los Angeles

Post Mark: Dec 9 11:30 PM 1924

 Irvin Wineland
1225 W 5th Street
Los Angeles Calif

 Mr & Mrs Archie Wineland
Natoma Kansas

 Los Angelse Calif

Dec -8-24

 Dear Bro and Sis-in-law:

 Well I rec’d your letter the other day, and was glad to hear from you – but the marriage part of it was indeed quite a surprise to me – as I had given up hopes from you –

 Congratulations to both of you – you didn’t tell me her name –

 You two will have to make a trip out here and give us a visit.

 Cannot you come out for a month or so this winter? Try and make it Archie – I’d certainly would like to see you both.

 So father was down to see you? Did you tell him that I was in Los Angeles Calif and what is he doing for himself? Still at the ranch game in Nebr, I suppose?

 I wonder why he doesn’t write me – I wrote him several times.

 I am still working at the Biltmore Hotel here in Los A –

 I make from 6 to $10 a day depending on how full up and how busy we are. You ought to have been with my wife and I on our trip up in the Mountains this last summer. We caught all kinds of trout and saw some of the most beautiful scenery in the world – lake after lake and the mountains snow capped.

 We were to some party last Sat nite – if fact didn’t get home till early Sunday morning – I was laid out too much gin and scotch. I have some dandy wine bottled up. We’ve been on a stew about twice a week all fall.

 I made some of the swellest white wine – and some kick too.

 I am sending a little swap shot of my wife and I taken last spring before we were married.

 Write and tell me all the news about yourself and wife and all the folks.

Tell all the folks helo for me and to drop me a line.

 Sincerely your loving Bro and wife

1225 West 5th St Los Angeles Calif

No comments:

Post a Comment