LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Wilmington Calif - Irvin Wineland - Jan 8, 1923

 Post Mark –

Nov 25, 1922
Los Angeles Steam Ship Co

 Wilmington Callif
Jan 8 – 23

 Dearest Brother:

 I rec’d your letter yesterday morn – we just arrived in from Honolulu HI

 This harbor is incorporated in the City of Los Angeles, but we have to take an electric train to Los Angeles which is twenty miles away.

 I only made twenty five dollars side money this trip – but I only had one room I happened to get a rotten dose of (c-p) in Honolulu this trip too – that takes all the d-m joy out of life too – but I’ll get rid of it soon.

 Yes, I think I’ll spend the rest of the winter in the Sunshine of California and the Tropics of the Hawaiian Islands and then next spring about May or June when it warms up back there in that old desert country – I’ll take a trip back and pay you a good visit – and possibly work in the Harvest some – then I’ll hit back to the east coat or back here to the Pacific – as I hate to leave the taken in my set – I have a set of suites and 1 Bridal chamber, it’s a $400.00 room one way to Honolulu – the set of rooms I have is one of the best on the ship, because it costs quite a bit of money to travel in them – and most usually the people that travel in suites tip you from ten to twenty dollars. I have a table too – but on account of the small passenger list this trip back I didn’t I just got a new tailer made suit this trip – it’s a blue evening suit – a swell one too – and I got a pair of pumps too.

 But if I get a good job ashore either as a salesman or in the oil fields, I would quit the sea for a while.

 This trip old kid, I’ll send you some thing from the Islands as a present from your wandering brother.

 Tell all the folks helo and also Uncle Clint – Aunt Mary and Gene too – and all my old friends. What is the Myer’s boys doing?

 Drop Uncle Geo Wineland a line and tell them about me – and send them my greetings.

 Hoping to hear from you next trip –

 Lovingly your bros. Irvin

 


SS President Harrison ship ca 1935. copied from Internet. 

At Sea –

 

Dear Brother:

 

Well it’s been a long time since I have written to you. Well I’ve been following the sea for about a year. I am night watchman on this ship.

I was deck steward on the Dorothy Alexander – which ran from Seattle to San Diego, before that I was on the Matsonia a large passenger liner running from San Francisco to Honolulu Hawaiian Islands. I’ve also been down to the Samson Islands and also in Sydney Austraia – that’s certainly a wonderful cit – and booze – oh Boy – schotch at $3 a bottle and Johney Walker and Black and White at $2.50 a bottle.

 

I’ve made around 150 – a month all summer and fall. Our quarters are certainly fine and our eats are the same as the 1st class passengers.  

 

This same ship – the President Harrison is going to the Portland, San Francisco and South American run after the 1st of the year. I may stay on it for the New company – Swain and Howyt of San Francisco takes it over – and the Martha Washington takes it’s place this is running for the city of Honolulu that was burned about two months ago – I came very nearly making that ship certainly lucky I didn’t.

 

Write me a big letter and tell me what you are doing and all about yourself –

 

I’ve been separated from my wife for about a year now.

 

Tell Grandfather helo for me. Also the rest of the folks – also Uncle Clint and Aunt Mary Wineland of Natoma helo for me.

 

Your loving bro.

 

Irvin Wineland

% SS President Harrison

San Pedro California.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment