LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Jan 4 - 1924. Irvin Wineland - Los Angeles

 

Los Angeles Biltmore

Jan 4 – 24

 Dear Brother;

I received your letter this morning – was certainly glad to hear from you. I had given up hopes of hearing from you.

I didn’t know your address or else I’d have sent you some little reminder – well any way I think of you just the same.

Am glad to hear that you have a wheat crop in and that it looks fine. I certainly hope that you make good money out of it next summer. I am busy as a bee – I’ve been working every day all fall since the Hotel opened, it is the Finest on the Pacific coast and is far ahead of anything west of Chicago. The people ahead of this Hotel has six of the finest Hotels in New York, also in Providence RI and Alanta NJ, Florida and in Havana Cuba.

I am in the Room Service New Year’s nite I made $25. Not so bad for a days wages. I make $65 a month wages and for 25 to $50 a week tips. So in all it averages 200 a month and up. I just got my bonus money from the State of Kansas last Sat. $577.00 in all – it certainly came in handy for the New Year.

I would like to see our step sis too.

It’s certainly funny about our old Dad – isn’t it he could at least write us and tell us how everything is – well I’ve made my way and you have also – so I guess that we can continue on – if he doesn’t think enuf to write us I certainly won’t put myself out a writing him.

I was surprised that Uncle Jo and Aunt Nettie had gone to Idaho and Bob and Aunt Mattie are in Colorado.

Tell all our relation helo for me and give them my best regards and I also want you to be a little more prompt in your correspondence to me old kid as I am always glad to get a letter from you.

With best wish and good luck and prosperity from the following year –

I am your old Brother

Irvin

1440 Edge Cliff Drive

Los Angeles

No comments:

Post a Comment