LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Dec 7, 1969 - Ted Allen to Minnie Reeder


Dec 7, 1969

Dear Aunt Minnie:

I myself had been wondering if you are O.K. so I was especially pleased to hear from you. Seems like it has been two years since. But I could be mistaken, I’ve been so busy night & day. And when I get through a summer season I’m usually groggy. My sisters Frances and Lydia both were asking me if I had heard from you. Said they hadn’t heard in some time. And that was last week they had asked. They know I usually get a card from you at Xmas.

I was down at Oakley Kans, to be with Frances & all the families at Thanksgiving, but missed the dinner as I had a little cold, and didn’t want to give it to everyone. The dinner was at Frances’ house for 5 families, first in a few years. So, Thurs. morning (the 25th) I called her to say I wouldn’t be down until evening or later in the week. Then, went back to bed. When I awoke at 10 am I felt pretty good, so I ate breakfast and watched the football game on TV. Then, as I was already loaded, I pumped in the car and drove yet to Aokley. I got in on the leavings from dinner and was quite happy. I called Lydia in Kans. City while in Oakley. Spent four busy days visiting the families & nieces & nephews One half day was for hunting pheasants, and seeing an old friend on a farm a half hour. Saw others at odd times.

One day was spent (or rather ½ day) I took Frances & Will Stevenson with me for the afternoon to Natoma, etc. I drove by Grandparent’s old town house, and no longer is it a fine place. Some one had made a plain shed like structure out of it for a house. Greatly reduced in size, etc.

I have a good picture of it here, I mean the old house.

I drove around town, took a picture of the old hotel made out of chalk rock stone Still there. But maine street is now a on-way street, was I surprised. I drove the wrong way, just looking around, until it was too late.

A fellow told me the old threshing separator that used to sit down in the hole on the main corner, finally was taken out recently.

We drove out to se the rock house of Grand parents, on the homestead. It still stands, but the inside is deterrating of the wood  work, finally. Frances said that only 2 or 3 years ago, it was in better shape. But one stone fell out of the place alone the window. It appears as tho it will fall down in the near future, now that it is started.

The place is owned by a Witchita man, he leased it for grazing to a nearby farmer. Also is leased out for oil later.

When we came over the hill to it, I was thrilled to see it stand out along the priairie on the knob. Brought back memories. About all is left is the house & part of another rock shed, no sign much of the old dug-out; slight remains of the old shed out north.

I wish Itcould have been persevered It is a reminder of a great era of which they were a part. This was the first time I had been there since I was living west of Natoma until I was 5 or 6 years old.

But I had been at Natoma, Once, when my younger brother & I went there to stay a winter & go to school while mom was taking care of Grandmother when she was sick. Grandfather was there too.

Then dad, mother, and I was there 3 or 4 days after we got through shucking corn at Moreland. Spent 2 days putting up hay near Natoma, then back home to Boulder.

Another time I went through on my last an exhibitions We stopped to give one in Natoma (Oakley, too).

But never to see the homestead until last week.

I have a couple pictures, here, of Mable’s daughter Shirley & husband that mom left, taken in 1954. My brother Ira in Calif. Did have a son & family living in Japan recently on his 2nd Army stay there. Was there since I saw him in 1963. I don’t know if he is still there.

Oh by the way we went down to the farm to see Glenn Kaster at Natoma.

I suppose you an Mable heard about Nathan passing a way in 1968.

Going to L.A. Calif. Next July to the horseshoe tourney. Will try to see Bill True. I’ve won some tournaments in the Rockies lately.

I promised Mable that I would have a copy made of a picture of Grandma True. I’ve been awful busy, also there fine camera shop here who used do a great job sold out. Now they send work to Calif. I’m afraid to trust such a picture until I know people like that. So many places now hire students out cheap wages to do the work. Fellows who are learning, and half the time do a bad job. I’ve had to start looking around for a place to get pictures developed elsewhere. I’ve paid for some bad pictures,

Love, Ted (over)

PS I completely overworked in 1967, near exhaustion after 9 months of 20 hr a day.

In 1968 in May I got bit by a wood tick with the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and that is something I hope never to get again. Took a year to get over it. This year, I spent only 4 months of 20 hours a day during summer.



Ted Allen is well know for winning Horseshoe Tournaments in the 1960's. He was top of his class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment