LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

WWII - May 1943 - Orville Matheson


AA Camp Haan * California

May 19 – 43

Dear mom

Well guess I’ll write you a line. I’m Ok. Yet. Got your letter the other day. Well I really didn’t expect that much but boy it sure helps & how. Well soon as I get payed I’ll send you back that much & about 25 a month for you to save for me so when I came home on furlough I’ll have some to spend. And I’ll have to start saving so I and Grace will have enough to live on. If we go ahead and get married as we plan. Mother keep my suit as I want it when I come home. Well guess I’ll close for now. Lots of Love, Your loving Soldier, Pvt. A. G. Matheson

Tell Jr. to treat the car like he would (?) as I think he will. (over)

Jr.

How are you I am fine. Hope you are. I’ll send the money home and you can get ning put in the olds so when I come home it be in good shape. How do you like it by now. Say see if you can get a new carberature for it. as I think it needs it. and watch the battery. You can take it out and put something under it to keep it from shorting or it burn it up from shorting. It’s the front cable & see about getting some new universals for it. then you can have you a good car.

Your loving brother,
Pvt Orville

No comments:

Post a Comment