LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

WWII - Dec 1943 (Second Letter) Orville Matheson



AA Camp Irwin * California

Dec 15 – 43
Btny C – 144th

Dear Folks,

Well guess I’ll drop you a line. I’m okay, feeling fine. Hope you are all well too. I’m still in here It’s not that I’m sick, It’s just that it’s the way the army is mom. I’d have got out the day after I came in if they weren’t so G.d. But in civilian life. I’d never have come. Or even went to bed. But this is the army. Boy, I’ll be glad when this war is over. Maybe I’ll be old enough to know what I want, a man 60 years old, to the army don’t know what he wants. Were just a piece of machinery, drove by a bunch of 2 Lt. and there drove by a Capt. And so on down the line. But hell who care’s. I’ll be out in another five yrs, anyway, maybe sooner. Did you find out anything about the car yet. I’d like to get one soon, so I could earn some money for my furlough. I’ll never have enough otherwise. It’s to hard to save it. But I can try. I like to go and have a little fun, I go to town about once every 3 or 4 weeks now. Nothing in town unless you have a hundred dollars it’s that way all over. Well mom try hard to help me. I’ll pay you back soon as I get out. Then you can keep the car while I’m across. Well mom I’ll close for now.

Your loving Son, Mat.



No comments:

Post a Comment