LETTERS FROM THE PAST

This blog is to honor those who have come before us. These are family letters that I have had for years and wanted to be able to share them with family. It's an interesting way of knowing how life was in the past.

Myron F Taylor with 3 of his buddies in 1952. Over the last 20 years I've been working on our family letters. Letters that have been passed down. Including letters from my parents to my great-grandmother. Every letter was saved by my great grandmother and grandmother. I hope someday to either print them or give them to a museum. I am copying the letters–not being able to photocopy all of them. Each letter is in script. I know today very few can read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Post Of Orville Matheson Letters -

Orville Grant Matheson was my mother's Uncle.

Orville was the son of Minnie True Matheson Reeder and Joseph Carl Matheson. He was the youngest of 7 children, my grandmother was the oldest of the 7 children.

Born March 25, 1924 in Natoma, Kansas. He married Ophelia Eliabeth "Betty" Eley February 13, 1944. They had 2 children, Patricia Faye Matheson, b. 1944 d. 1997. and Theresa Elizabeth Matheson, b. 1947 d. 1947.

Orville was drafted into the Army. He didn't want to go. He would have rather stayed in LaGrande, OR and had a mechanics shop. He was close to his mother, Minnie Reeder. The letters that are written to him are slowly being posted here. Orville's wife had a daughter, Victoria, out of wedlock, and his sister, Margie, adopted her. She's still alive, so will not post anything about her. Patti I met back in 1978, when Minnie passed away. Because there is no family members of Orville's left, other than Patti's sons (whom I can't find), the letters are with me. Passed down from Great grandmother, grandmother, and mother to me.

I believe his service should be know. I believe these letters will open our eyes to what WWII was like for someone who really didn't want to go. His heart was at home.

Unfortunately, his dreams from these letter, never came to life. He was never to live a long life. He returned from WWII to find out he had a tumor in the brain from being overseas. He didn't live long after that. It was 9 months before he passed away, at the age of 22. He died Jan 7, 1947. in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, where he is buried away from the rest of the family.

These letters are to honor him and for his extended family to see what he was thinking as he served our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment